Head of School
Sunrise Waldorf School is seeking an innovative, community orientated Head of School who embraces both democratic and visionary leadership. We are accepting applications for either an interim or long-term period with the understanding that we will be engaging with a governance review during the 2022-23 academic year.
The Head of School is responsible for meeting Ministry of Education requirements for the school’s educational program and holding the designation of Principal. They are service oriented in both community and professional settings, have well-developed problem-solving skills, and are responsible for meeting both BC ministry and AWSNA requirements.
August 1, 2022.
Set in forested rural beauty on Vancouver Island, BC, Sunrise Waldorf School is in its 42nd year in the Cowichan Valley with a mission to educate and inspire students to reach their full potential through a rich and artistic Waldorf and BC curriculum. Offering pre-K through Grade 8 classes, we have been a full-member AWSNA accredited school since 2003 and are a Group 1 independent school under the BC Ministry of Education. The school enrollment (K-8) is approximately 140. There are currently 6 Administrative roles, 20 full-time faculty, and additional part-time faculty and classroom assistants.
The Head of School works closely with our Board of Directors, Education Director, Registrar/Office Manager (position under review), and Director of Finance and represents the school in communicating the vision and policies to the faculty, employees, students, parents and community. The Head of School reports directly to the Board. The Head of School is reviewed by the Board after one year, and subsequently every two years. The Board seeks Faculty input when reviewing the performance of the Head of School.
5+ years of related experience - Waldorf or independent school experience preferred
Master in Education, preferably in Leadership
Current VTRA (Violent Threat Risk Assessment) certification through the Ministry of Education’s ERASE bullying strategy - or be willing to obtain upon hiring
Eligible to hold a BC Teaching Certificate
Be able to demonstrate successful experience with:
Human Resource processes such as hiring and evaluating staff
Ensuring Compliance (e.g., Worksafe)
The Head of School holds responsibilities in five areas within the functioning of Sunrise Waldorf School: Educational Leadership; Governance and Internal Relations; Human Resources; Administration; and Budget and Development.
In the area of Educational Leadership, the Head of School:
● Holds leadership responsibility to collaborate with the Education Director in management of the school education program.
● Responds to questions and concerns from parents and the wider community while executing communication and conflict resolution policies.
● Leads the faculty in implementing pedagogical policies and procedures.
● Oversees remedial education with the Education Director including IEPs for all special needs students.
● Leads the faculty in meeting all aspects of delivery of a high standard of Waldorf education in coordination with the Education Director.
● Leads the faculty in meeting all Ministry of Education requirements.
● Upholds the values of Sunrise Waldorf School among the parent body and in the community.
In the area of Governance and Internal Relations, the Head of School:
● Speaks for and represents Sunrise Waldorf School to the school, wider community and government.
● Promotes and facilitates respectful and collaborative working conditions between all faculty, staff, parents, Board members and the wider community.
● Facilitates the Communications Protocol within the school community.
● Recommends policy changes and development to the Board of Directors.
● Ensures that all internal committees are functioning effectively by attending faculty committee meetings as needed and by forming ad hoc committees of the necessary constituents in consultation with the appropriate committee chairs when necessary.
● Attends all Board meetings as an ex-officio member and participates in Board committees as directed by the Board.
In the area of Human Resources, the Head of School:
● Holds faculty and staff accountable to Sunrise Waldorf School policy, procedures, protocol and contractual obligations..
● Oversees the completion of faculty and staff evaluations.
● Recommends dismissals to the Board, when necessary.
● Ensures that faculty are supported in their training to fulfill all Ministry of Education requirements and standards of Sunrise Waldorf School.
● Leads the administrative process of faculty hiring, ensuring all human resources policies are fulfilled.
● Prepares an annual Human Resources Plan for approval by the Board
In the area of Administration, the Head of School:
● Collaborates with the Registrar/Office Manager (position under review) to ensure that the school functions efficiently and effectively on a day-to-day basis and toto foster an environment of open communication and accountability.
● Ensures that all Ministry of Education requirements and standards are met, including requirements of the Independent School Act and any Ministerial Orders, to maintain status as a Group 1 independent school and AWSNA accreditation.
In the area of Budget and Development, the Head of School:
● Promotes the school and encourages enrollment.
● Acts as Business Manager in creating an annual Budget.
● Administers the Special Education budget and completes all required reporting to the Ministry of Education.
Application Procedure: All interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed beginning July 4th, 2022 and weekly thereafter until the position is filled. Please note, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
We are committed to supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring a barrier-free work environment. We welcome applications from all qualified job seekers, including applicants from historically underrepresented groups such as BIPOC (black, indigenous, and people of color), persons with disabilities, and 2SLGBTQ (persons of all sexual orientations and genders). If you are an applicant with a disability and require accommodation in either the recruitment process or on the job, we will work together with you to provide the reasonable workplace accommodations you need.